Thursday 1 November 2012

Homemade Marsala Chai

[Source: Design*Sponge]

One of the best Masala Chai (literally "mixed-spice-tea") I have ever tasted was in Singapore years ago.  On my way to the Philippines for vacation my Mom and I had a stop-over in Singapore for few days. It We went to Little India for sightseeing and stopped by in a small coffee and tea shop for a chai in the afternoon. We ordered some Samosas for a snack and Marsala Chai instead of coffee. Besides the delicious Samosas, that chai we've got in that small shop was perfect. Strong, slightly sweetened and with the right blend of milk. Every time when I have that kind of Masala Chai, every sip brings me to that perfect afternoon with my Mom in Singapore's Little India.

Recipe see below.



A Perfect Mug of Chai
The Goods
  • 4 c. cold water
  • 4–6 cardamom pods* (depending how intense you like your chai)
  • 4–6 cloves (per above)
  • 4–6 black peppercorns (optional)
  • 2 Tbsp. fresh ginger, chopped (optional)
  • 4 tsp. black tea (I use Darjeeling. You can also use three tea bags.)
  • 4–6 tsp. raw honey (to your preference)
  • 1/4 c. milk

*You’ll need to bruise your cardamom pods before adding them to the water, in order to expose the seeds inside. I do this by hitting them with the back of a spoon. Once cracked open, place the whole thing into the pot — pod, seeds and all!





[Source: Design*Sponge]

The Deal
1. Add water and spices to a medium-sized stainless-steel pot. Bring to a boil over high heat.
2. Reduce heat to low, place tea in a tea strainer and add to a pot along with honey and milk. Simmer for 5 minutes.
3. Remove from heat, cover and steep for 5 minutes longer.
4. Remove and compost tea, and pour chai in two large mugs. I like to leave the spices in, but you can discard them if you prefer.
5. Sip and smile!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...